As a student, maximizing your vacation can be a challenge, especially when you want to earn some extra money. Fortunately, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) has a program called the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) that can help you earn money while on vacation. In this article, we will discuss how a student can maximize their vacation with DOLE’s SPES.
What is DOLE’s SPES Program?
The Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) is a program initiated by the DOLE. It aims to provide employment opportunities to students who want to earn money during their summer vacation. SPES aims to help students from low-income families to finance their education while gaining work experience.
The program requires private and public sector employers to hire students as temporary employees during the summer break. Employers will pay 60 percent of the students’ salaries, while DOLE will cover the remaining 40 percent.
How can a student maximize their vacation with DOLE’s SPES Program?
The first step to maximizing your vacation with DOLE’s SPES Program is to apply early. The program is highly competitive, and there are limited slots available. You need to submit your application as early as possible to increase your chances of getting accepted.
Choose a job that aligns with your interests
When choosing a job under the SPES, it is essential to select a job that aligns with your interests. This way, you will enjoy what you do and gain valuable experience that will help you in your future career.
To maximize your vacation while working as a SPES beneficiary, you need to be committed to your job. Show up on time, be respectful to your co-workers and supervisors, and take your job seriously. This will not only help you gain work experience, but it will also help you develop a positive work ethic.
Learn new skills
One of the benefits of the program is that it provides students with an opportunity to learn new skills. Take advantage of this by asking your supervisor if there are any tasks you can take on that will help you learn new skills.
Another way to maximize your vacation with DOLE’s SPES is to network. Use this opportunity to connect with people in your field of interest. Attend company events and ask questions. This will not only help you gain insight into the industry, but it will also help you build relationships that could help you in the future.
The DOLE’s SPES Program is an excellent opportunity for students to earn money while on vacation. By applying early, choosing a job that aligns with your interests, being committed, learning new skills, and networking, you can maximize your vacation with the program. Remember that the program is highly competitive, so make sure to submit your application as early as possible. Good luck!