LILOY, ZAMBOANGA DEL NORTE- The DOLE Zamboanga del Norte Field Office through its Liloy Satellite Office successfully conducted the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) Orientation on June 26, 2023 in collaboration with the Local Government Unit (LGU) of Liloy, Zamboanga del Norte. The event took place at the Legislative Building of Liloy, ZDN, and marked the beginning of the SPES implementation in the municipality.

A total of 180 SPES beneficiaries from Liloy were selected to participate in the program, which aims to provide employment opportunities to deserving students during their summer break. Mr. Reginaldo R. Eroy, PESO Manager of LGU Liloy, congratulated the SPES beneficiaries who were qualified and chosen to be part of the program. He further informed them that they will be assigned to their respective Barangay Local Government Units (BLGU) for their designated work.

Hon. Roberto L. Uy, Jr., Municipal Mayor of LGU Liloy, expressed his hopes that the summer job provided by the SPES program would greatly assist the students in their continued education.

“Hinaot nga kining pagahimoon nga summer job makatabang gyud ni sa pagpadayon sa inyong pag-eskwela” (We hope that this summer job will be able to assist you as you continue your studies), said Mayor Uy.

Mayor Uy also announced that the LGU, in partnership with the PESO, has planned and will allot day for a Tree Planting activity for the SPES beneficiaries. He emphasized the importance of environmental conservation, he urged the youth to take the lead in bringing about positive change within themselves and prioritizing the preservation of nature. Mayor Uy also expressed his gratitude to DOLE for the implementation of the SPES program in his municipality.

The SPES Orientation was conducted by Ms. Joni Sarina R. Mejico, LEO III, from the DOLE Liloy Satellite Office. On behalf of DOLE, Ms. Mejico extended her appreciation to the LGU, led by Mayor Uy, and the PESO, led by Mr. Eroy, for their swift action in implementing the SPES program and ensuring the delivery of assistance to deserving student-beneficiaries.

Under the SPES program, the implementation follows a 60% – 40% sharing scheme, with the LGU covering 60% of the wage and DOLE covering the remaining 40%, which will be coursed through a designated remittance center.

Fred B. Sotabento, a Grade 12 Humanities and Social Sciences (HUMSS) student from Liloy National High School and a SPES baby, expressed his gratitude to DOLE and LGU Liloy for providing students like him with the opportunity to earn, which greatly aids in supporting his studies.

The SPES implementation in Liloy will be for 20 days, commencing on July 3, 2023 and will finish on July 28, 2023.

END//with reports from Joni Sarina R. Mejico and Rose Zandra G. Cocamas, ZDNFO.